Today’s job market is fiercely competitive for both men and women. Due to the competition, there is a growing demand among men for cosmetic procedures who are hoping to increase the odds of an advancement in their chosen profession. Because men’s skin biology, facial anatomy and their response to the aging process differs from that of women, men seeking facial rejuvenation will have different needs. Contact Compassion Dermatology today. We can provide the Southlake Dermatology you require, and understand you will want as little down time as possible. Many of our treatments cause little to no down time at all.
How Men’s Skin Differs From Women’s
Men’s skin is 25 % thicker than a woman’s, due to the male hormones. It also has larger pores and less subcutaneous fat. However, the male skin will thin over time with aging. A woman’s typically experience the majority of thinning just after menopause. Men also have more collagen, but this advantage can be lost with consistent outdoor UV exposure. In addition, a man’s skin sweats more than a woman, and generates four times more sebum. The reduced subcutaneous fat often results in the sinking of the male skin, rather than a lot of wrinkling. The male facial hair actually provides support to the skin, reducing the amount of wrinkles that may develop. An additional difference is that men have a more prominent bone structure, typically in a rectangular and angular shape.
Unfortunately, men have a higher chance of developing melanoma than women, due to their shorter hairstyles. Due to this, routinely inspecting your skin for changes is important. If you find a suspicious area, contact Southlake Dermatology for a diagnosis, as soon you find it.
Aging and Solutions
- The loss of volume can cause sagging skin and folds. A dermal filler offers a potential solution for a younger looking you.
- Skin resurfacing done with microdermabrasion, chemical peels or laser treatments are potential solutions for fine wrinkles, uneven skin tone, age spots and scars.
- Deep lines, such as frown lines and excessive sweating can benefit from Botox.
- Men can be prone to ingrown hairs, laser hair removal can be an effective treatment.
- Broken capillaries and blood vessels are also a problem for men. Compassion Dermatology offers several types of treatment in our Southlake Dermatology practice.
- Fat pockets are concerning to men and women alike. Cool sculpting is just one of the non-invasive treatments we offer that targets and destroys fat deposits. Contact our Southlake Dermatology to schedule treatment.
A dermatologist in our Southlake Dermatology office can provide the treatment you require, the instructions needed for your particular skin type. We offer the latest state-of-the-art treatments available for both men and women..
Recommended Skin Care for Men
Wash your face daily with a mild, nondrying cleanser. Apply an antioxidant and moisturize daily. If acne is a problem, use a non-greasy moisturizer. Do not forget to use a sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher. Do not forget to use sunscreen on the bare scalp, ears, lips and neck. If you swim or sweat excessively, reapply it every 2 hours. Protective clothing and shade will also assist in the protection of your skin. Compassion Dermatology will provide you with a skin care regiment specific for you and your skin type and its needs. Contact us today in our Southlake Dermatology office to get started on your new appearance.
Skin Problems by Type
Normal skin is clear without sensitivities, flaking or excessive oil. Always wash your face with lukewarm water, not hot water to avoid its drying effect. Other skin types and common problems include:
- Sensitive skin may burn and/or sting after using a product. Look for fragrance free products. Read the product label when they claim to be scent free. They may contain skin irritating fragrances.
- Dry skin can be flaky, itchy or rough.
- Oily skin often requires washing twice a day to avoid oily, shiny skin. If your skin is oily and prone to breakouts, look for skin care products that are oil free. Southlake Dermatology can assist you in having blemish free skin.
- If your skin is oily in some areas and dry in others, you have combination skin.
- Razor bumps are typically caused by shaving too close to the skin and pulling it taut. If razor bumps are a problem for you, try a single or double edged razor. Begin your shave by wetting the skin and hair, allowing it to soften. Use a moisturizing shaving cream and shave in the direction of hair growth. Rinse the razor after each swipe of the blade, and discard after using 5 or 6 times. Those with an extremely heavy beard may require more frequent changes.
- All skin types should apply moisturizer after showering or shaving while the skin is still damp. This will trap water in the skin and reduce the appearance of fine lines.
- All skin types should provide a routine inspection of the skin for spots or moles that bleed, change size, itch, hurt or change color. The risk of melanoma is higher in men, especially over the age of 50. Early detection can greatly increase the odds in your favor. Southlake Dermatology can provide the inspection of your skin.
Everyone’s skin is unique to them. If you have questions or concerns, contact Southlake Dermatology today. At Compassion Dermatology, you can rely on professional care for your individual medical or surgical dermatology needs. Give us a call today.