Photo by Kamil Macniak at Shutterstock
So, you’ve known for a while that you needed to see a dermatologist. What’s stopping you? Are you new to town and don’t know who to make your skincare doctor? Did your favorite dermatologist move practices, and it’s no longer convenient to go to them? Your unique situation isn’t much different from most new patients wanting to improve their skin condition.
What to Do When You Visit a Dermatologist for the First Time
The unknown can be frightening at times. If you’ve never visited one before, you likely have a lot of questions. Fortunately, we wrote this guide with that request in mind. We know that the more informed you are, the better you feel about seeing a skincare doctor. You’re able to get the help that you need without delay.
Here are some of the things that you should do when you visit a dermatologist for the first time:
- Ask questions until you receive the response that makes you feel comfortable. The time that you spend at a consultation with a professional is yours. You must be able to get the most from the experience by having your immediate needs and questions addressed. When the skincare doctor takes their time with you and gives you the assistance that you need to thrive, you feel more at ease in their presence. You’re also apt to visit them again in the future because of the rapport that the two of you built with one another during your initial appointment.
- Bring a list of medications you’re taking at the moment so the dermatologist can see if they’re causing an allergic reaction. Whenever you visit a medical professional, you should always have a list of medications you take. That way, the professional in Southlake, TX can check to make sure that you’re not experiencing a reaction to the drugs that you’re taking. You can store the information in an app with the correct dosages that you take. When you need to access the med list again, you’ll have it right where you can get to it. It’s easier to store it on your phone than on a piece of paper that might accidentally get thrown away.
- Have the problem spots on your skin examined. If you have areas of your body that you fear could be skin cancer, don’t wait to ask the dermatologist about them. Express your concern immediately and go through the required tests to rule melanoma out. It can be the difference between you recovering from skin cancer or having it be the thing that shortens your lifespan. Taking preventative measures to protect your skin is something your skincare doctor highly recommends at all times. You can use sunscreen, sunglasses, long-sleeved shirts, and a wide-brimmed hat to give yourself added protection against the sun’s harmful UVA and UVB rays.
- Request a different treatment if you don’t like what is suggested to you the first time. If something that they suggest to you doesn’t feel right, let them know that you want to explore other options. You always have choices that you can make when it comes to your health and body. A compassionate one knows that each person’s needs and preferences differ. They make you a partner in the healing process, which is why it’s perfectly acceptable to ask that they provide you with other options that may be better for you.
- Make sure that you have your insurance card and preferred payment method with you. You’re going to need the items to make sure that the office bills you correctly. You want to make sure that your insurance card is up-to-date and that your debit or credit card hasn’t expired. It may seem like minor things, but it’s an inconvenience you don’t want to deal with when going to a dermatology expert. On the day of your appointment, check to make sure that your wallet is with you and that it contains the documents and payment methods needed to see the skincare doctor.
- Arrive at least fifteen minutes early to fill out paperwork. Dermatology offices need a lot of information from their patients initially. Prepare to fill out pages of paperwork. Once done, however, the clinic has all the information that it needs about you. You can then update your records when your address or phone number in Southlake, TX, change. It’s an easy thing to do if you’re willing to show up at least fifteen minutes before your scheduled appointment to get it done.
- Prepare your schedule for a follow-up visit. Your doctor is going to want to see you again. It may be sooner than it is later. Having an open schedule allows you to get the help that you need when you need it most. Rather than wait for months to see the skincare doctor again, you’re able to get a follow-up appointment right away. That means less waiting around for treatments. If you have a particularly scary skincare condition, it can provide you with great relief knowing that you’re able to see the doctor of dermatology again soon.
Now that you know what to do when you visit a dermatologist for the first time, you’re able to prepare for the occasion by looking for an experienced professional in the industry that is kind and compassionate as they explain your custom treatment plan. Finding the right skin doctor to go to takes research, but once you find them, you’ll be in communication with an expert that can assist you with taking care of your skin long-term.
Get the Help That You Need with Your Skincare Issues with the Right Dermatologist
Ready to set up your first dermatologist appointment in Southlake, TX? Call Compassion Dermatology today. Our number is 817-380-5911.
Contact us with your request right away. We put your mind at ease by answering any questions that you have about skincare treatments. You can also book an appointment with us online by filling out our scheduling form or emailing email@example.com.